This post is just a quick update on the progress of the robot that I am building. I have been busy with other things recently and have not had a lot of time but some progress has been made. I managed to get the third leg assembly built and part of the plastic base modified to mount the first leg. The third leg that I built is a mirror image of the first tow because I need what essentially is a left and a right set of two legs each. These will be in opposite corners from each other. So in the picture below the upper left corner leg is the mirror image assembly of the other two legs.
At this point I need to complete the last 'mirror image' leg and continue modifying the base. In the picture the lower left leg is sitting on it's rotate base, eventually all the legs will get similar bases. Under each base an additional servo motor will be mounted that will turn each leg independently.
There is still a lot of work to do but the project is coming along... some open issues still are the 'walk cycle' that the legs will have to perform in unison allowing the contraption to move without falling over and a big issue of getting the electronics working. As far as the walk cycle goes I believe there is enough motion and degrees of freedom in the legs to keep the center of gravity inside a triangular foot pattern (formed by three legs down on the floor) while the fourth leg moves. I'm still not sure this is going to work but I'm confident enough that I'll keep building and see what happens.