Links to stuff on this blog

Use the Site Index of Projects page link above for an easier way to find stuff on my blog that you might be looking for!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Windows Security and Privacy Update

I have finished the window covering that I wrote about last week - finally! They turned out pretty good and they do add to the security and privacy of the new house. This turned out to be a lot of work, I knew that going into the project but about half way through I was sick of it. Maybe sick is too strong of a word but painting and sanding is only fun for about 5 minutes, and only when you are watching someone else do it. Below are the before and after pictures:
Unsightly and Insecure Windows

Secure and Private Windows with Homemade Coverings
As I mentioned before these are just wood frames with bleached muslin stapled to the back. I think this looks a lot better than curtains and because the blinds are still there behind them they provide a lot of privacy. The bleached muslin allows light to come in and they are hinged so I can open them to peek out or clean the windows. Clean the windows?!? Yeah right! Click below to read a little more about how I made these - don't forget to click HERE too to see the start of this project!

As I mentioned in the last post the frames that I made are from 11/16" X 7/16" wood trim. I built a total of five and used one to create a divider between the living room area and the dining room area. Its actually one big room and there is a computer desk where the dining room table would normally be so the divider breaks up the space.
I painted them using Valspar Signature Latex paint in a red brown color and used 1 coat of white primer. The Valspar paint cover really well despite all the negative reviews I read about it after buying it.  The temperatures these days are down in the mid 40's in the day and lower at night so I had to paint them indoors where it is warmer. I strung up the frames using some string so I could paint both sides in the hallway which I covered with drop cloths.
Make Shift Paint Booth
The frames are attached to the walls with brass hinges and the muslin is attached with 5/8" staples from a staple gun. As a side note, I mentioned in the first post that the best way to clean a garage after moving is to do a project like this because it makes you find the things you need. Finding the staple gun took about an hour. Finding the iron so I could iron the muslin took another 45 minutes.
There isn't much else to it. I like the look and they are a bit unique, better than drapes anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment