Links to stuff on this blog

Use the Site Index of Projects page link above for an easier way to find stuff on my blog that you might be looking for!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Homemade Wood Clock Test Run

This is going to be a short post... well maybe not. As I start to write this it's Sunday, it's late and I am tired! What I wanted to put up was the test video of the clock running. Anyone following my blog knows about the wood clock that I am making and if not you can check out the earlier posts in the Woodworking Label.  Without further adieu here it is - enjoy!
     
     
There are a couple of things that I would like to point out about what is going on in the video. The first thing is again this is a test. The clock motor is running a lot faster than it normally does to keep time. The second thing that I think I should point out it the hour hand. If you look really closely at it you might notice that it is a wood "q-tip" with a pointed cotton end! That is because I didn't have time today to make a hour hand so I stuck that on there in it's place. The more I look at it the more I think I will keep it actually.

If you look at the video you will see a C-Clamp that is in the back of the clock. That is there to hold the tube that had the hour hand in it. As I mentioned I didn't have time to make the hour hand and I also didn't have time to make something to keep the hour hand spinning... The C-Clamp does that for now.
   
As mentioned in another post HERE I'm using a motor and gearbox from Tamiya to reduce the speed of the motor and further reduce it with a couple of gears that I got out of an old copier that I took apart HERE. I attached one of the gears to the motor by drilling a hole though the gear hum and put a pin through the gear and through a hole in the gearbox output shaft. Pretty simple...
   

The gear that mates with the gear that I just mentioned is a little more complicated because it's mounted to a hollow shaft (or tube) that the minute hand is attached to. It's hollow so the hour hand can be connected to another shaft going through the center. Have a look at the above picture and you can see the shaft, the gear and a little tongue sticking up on the end of the hollow shaft. I was worried about the gear slipping on the outside of the shaft so I cut that little tongue and bent it up. You can see some slots on the hub of the gear that the tongue fit's into when I slide the gear right up to the end. With a little bit of glue it worked out really well. The gear doesn't slip and the clock runs nice!

One quick mention to the Woodgears site that I have in my "Sites I Like" in the sidebar. Check out that site for really cool woodworking projects and the gear template generator that I used for the gears in my clock. If you have not already checked it out please do.
       
     

No comments:

Post a Comment